Select Page

It can be hard to resist those big puppy dog eyes when you are at the table or cooking, but some foods should not be shared with your pets. The side effects of some human foods upon animals can be severe to deadly. The following foods should not be shared with pets lest they suffer.

Alcohol

Foods that contain alcohol, as well as alcoholic beverages, can cause diarrhea, vomiting, decreased coordination, depression of the central nervous system, tremors, difficulty breathing, blood acidity that is abnormal, coma, and death. Your pet should not receive any alcohol under any circumstances.

Avocado

Less a problem for dogs and cats, avocado is primarily dangerous for rabbits, birds, horses, donkeys, and ruminants such as goats and sheep. The largest concern is for damage to the cardiovascular system and death in pet birds. The larger members of the list with hooves often suffer edematous, swollen neck and head.

Coffee, Chocolate, and Caffeine

Each of these products contains a substance called methylxanthine. This type of substance is located in coffee plants’ fruits, cacao seeds, and in an extract used in several soda types. When pets ingest them, methylxanthines are known to cause diarrhea and vomiting, thirst and urination in excess, panting, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures, abnormal heart rhythm, and death.

Grapes and Raisins

Although at present the toxic substance contained within raisins and grapes is unknown, these fruits are known to cause kidney failure. Until and unless more information is available about the toxic substance, you should avoid feeding raisins and grapes to dogs.

Onions, Chives, Garlic

These herbs and vegetables can be the cause of gastrointestinal irritation, leading to damage to red blood cells. While cats are more susceptible to these effects, dogs are at risk as well if they consume large enough amounts. The diagnosis of toxicity comes through clinical signs, the pet’s history, and confirmation of the presence of Heinz bodies using a microscope.

Xylitol

This sweetener can be found in many products, including candy, gum, toothpaste, and baked goods. Insulin release can be caused in most species, leading to liver failure. The first signs of toxicosis are lethargy, vomiting, and coordination loss; these can elevate to seizures. Liver failure can occur within several days.

Avoid feeding your pets human food, and instead stick to treats made especially for them!